RE: History of Sexuality Titles

> I'm hoping that someone can either list Foucault's original
> titles for the
> volumes that were to make up the History of Sexuality or point me
> toward where
> I can find these titles.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Michael

The series that actually appeared was

1. La Volonte de savoir [The Will to Knowledge], translated as An
Introduction
2. L?Usage de plaisirs [The Use of Pleasures]
3 Le Souci de soi [The Care of the Self]

There is a fourth volume that remains unpublished but is apparently pretty
much finished:-

4. Les Aveux de la chair [The Confessions of the Flesh]

But in 1976, when the first volume was published, the plan was for these
volumes:-

1. La Volonte de savoir [The Will to Knowledge]
2. La Chair et le corps [The Flesh and the Body]
3. La Croisade des enfants [The Children?s Crusade]
4. La Femme, la mere et l?hysterique [The Woman, The Mother, and the
Hysteric]
5. Les Pervers [The Perverse]
6. Populations et races [Populations and Races]

Some of the lecture courses now being published give a good indication of
what would have been in these volumes - Les Anormaux has a great deal of the
material for vol 5, 3 and 2; Il faut defendre la societe relates to vol 6,
etc. The course whose resume appears in Resume des cours and Essential Works
vol 1 as 'On the Government of the Living' appears to be close to vol 4 of
the second plan.

Best wishes

Stuart