Re: post-modern vertigo or the crisis of modernity?

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, tony ralph wrote:

> Postmodern vertigo is not a virus or contaminant caught from subversive
> texts, it is the crisis that emerges when the believer recognises that
> their faith in modernity is a failure

"What did we do when we unchained this earth from its sun? Whither is it
moving now? Whither are we moving now? Away from all suns? Are we not
plunging continually? Backward, sideward, forward, in all directions? Is
there any up or down left? Are we not straying as through an infinite
nothing?" (Nietzsche, _The Gay Science_).

And you thought the death of God was bad--wait 'til you get a load of the
death of man....

Matthew

---Matthew A. King---Department of Philosophy---York University, Toronto---
"It was in the barbarous, gothic times when words had a meaning;
in those days, writers expressed thoughts."