Re: Foucault/Frankfurt School quote

Vunch@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I have read a
> quote in which Foucault stated he enjoyed reading the Frankfurt Critical
> Theorists a great deal and that he wold have become one or like them, but
> that he other things to do. I will continue to look for that quote!
>
> Vunch

Found it perhaps - sorry, but only in a German edition of a 1978
interview with Ducio Trombadori, original title: "Conversazione
con M. F.", Il Contributo, Jan-Mar 1980, 23-84; German title: Der
Mensch ist ein Erfahrungstier, Frankfurt 1996, p. 82 (my
translation from the German version):
"When I acknowledge the merits of the Frankfurt School
philosophers, I do so with the guilty conscience of someone who
should have read and understood their books earlier. If I had
read their books, I need not have said a lot of things, and could
have avoided some mistakes. If I had known them when I was young,
perhaps I would have been so enthusiastic about them that I
couldn't have done anything else but comment them."
Goes on about the theoretical differences to the Frankfurt
School, localizing them in the interpretation of Marx's dictum:
The human being produces the human being. (Don't know if it
translates like this in English, but think you'll get the point.)
Quite a long interview, that, don't know if it's in Dits et
Ecrits.

Hope that helps,
Nico