Re: Foucault's Method

on 1/30/01 10:22 PM, Bryan C at kirk728@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Not so. My point was that F's position perhaps is self-destructive.
> My personal position is that nothing corporeal can be truly known to me.

The point is that you don't get to choose. It doesn't matter whether you
like Foucault or not. This isn't a normative matter. No one cares what you
think, it's only a matter of The Way Things Work(TM).

Personal hangups are all personal irrelevancies. Foucault may not be
accurate in his descriptions, but it's not something that can be decided in
terms of the appeal of the theories.

You can pretend that the state works however you like, but if Foucault is
correct than perhaps such pretending is pretending and nothing more.

Pretend you're autonomous - if you are then that's all well and good but if
you aren't then your pretending is irrelevant; pretend that you are
determined, if it works out that you're not, well - oops.

If I shoot you in the head, well I've shot you. Just because you don't think
that it will kill doesn't mean that it won't.

---

Asher Haig ahaig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dartmouth 2004