Re: Foucault's Method

on 1/30/01 10:47 PM, Bryan C at kirk728@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> But you cannot prove that you've shot me in the head. You cannot prove
> that I have a head, or you a gun. Ultimately, all sensory proof
> depends upon the Aristotlean principle of "immeadiate apprehension"
> which is problematic. I am not saying that we need to reject our
> senses, I am merely challenging the idea that any empirical fact can
> ever be indeed a fact.

Eh.. I suppose you could engage solipsism if you like. Foucault bases his
analysis on the notion that there are small truths - ie things that are
accurate/inaccurate, even if perhaps not true/false.

So the answer to your objection is: yes, you're right - so what? I think
that Foucault's notion of immanent kritik grants those structures that
aren't relevant to his criticism and in fact are part of the proof of his
theory as legitimate as a first step to anything else.

> PS does anyone know if I can still mail in if I am not subscribed?
> This list is flooding my email.

Believe so. You can also get digest-form (one email a day).

---

Asher Haig ahaig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dartmouth 2004