Re: the church of the consumer

Is it that people feel inferior or is it that the
modern system of capital is based on an economy of
deferred enjoyment? Everything today is geared
towards production and accumulation, but a production
and accumulation that evacuates enjoyment. We work
from nine to nine and are expected to live one day on
the weekend and for four brief hours every evening.
Our enjoyment itself even becomes a means of
production when we watch television and use the
internet... This enjoyment itself produces more
capital. Insofar as our enjoyment is deferred (I
produce, I accumulate in order to retire a millionare
and enjoy then), we must find some way to enjoy in our
present. But insofar as our time is totalized and
captured in our labor, enjoyment in our present
becomes a quasi-impossibility. For this reason,
outlets like consumerism, consumption become a form of
surplus-enjoyment that function as a means of allowing
us to remain in this mad system... It's not
inferiority, but an inevitable result of a system that
acknowledges only production and accumulation (an
accumulation without a purpose, but solely for the
sake of accumulation). What's upsetting is that even
this consumption is a means of production... It's as
if we lived in a system without remainder or outside.
The problem with explanations like Adler's is that
they place all their explanations within the
interiority of a subject, without examining the system
that allows these sorts of subjectivity to be
produced... Similar problems emerge with discourses
about depression and mental illness. Is it a mistake
that the discipline of psychology only emerged during
the last century with the emergence of the industrial
revolution?

Paul