Re: discussion

Larry W. Chappell wrote:

> Philosophy begins with pedophilia. Maybe it ends there too.

I know. Apologies if anyone didn't like the joke.

> Socrates
> spent all his days in the agora with young men. Education in Athens was
> intimately connected with courting young boys. Socrtaes invented a new,
> more subtle pedophilia that we still practice in our institutions today.
> We have adopted his model for corrupting youth.
>
> As a teacher, I am a fairly typical Socratic progeny.

About teaching (i am one too, although not of english :-)): socratic
methodology is related to socratic aims and socratic conception of
Being. Shouldn't we try to find another methods and strategies, or do
you think those methods are compatible with contemporary thought? It
really concerns me.

> I have no interest
> in their bodies,

Socrates had, although he privileged souls.
Regards
Roberto

--
Examinations are formidable even to the best prepared, for the gratest fool may ask more than the wisest man can answer. -Charles Caleb Colton, author and clergyman (1780-1832)