Being Up-To-Date: Foucault, Sartre, and Postmodernity

Author: Neil Levy Published: 2001
ISBN: 0-8204-51185 Price: $54.95
Pages: 224
Binding: Hard Cover - -
About the Book
It is often claimed that at some time in the recent past, philosophy
underwent a profound transformation. The era inaugurated perhaps by
Descartes has come to an end, and we have entered the epoch of
postmodernity. This book examines that claim by focusing on two exemplary
figures, representative of modernity and postmodernity respectively:
Jean-Paul Sartre and Michel Foucault. Concentrating on their political
thought, it shows that each is beset by the same kinds of problems and
evolves parallel and complementary solutions. The continuities that exist
between them are sufficient to call into question the notion that a fissure
runs between the two epochs they represent; nevertheless Neil Levy suggests
that their thought can be seen as presenting us with the resources for
thinking and criticizing our present in a manner that is alert to the
paradoxes and contingencies often seen as characterizing postmodernity.

About the Author
Neil Levy received his Ph.D. from Monash University, Australia, in 1995.
Since then he has lectured in continental philosophy and in political
philosophy at Monash University and at Macquarie University, Sydney. He has
published widely on both continental philosophy and Anglo-American political
philosophy.

Dr Neil Levy
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Charles Sturt University
Locked Bag 678
NSW 2678
Australia