Re: use or abuse of listservs, or WWMFD?

What Would Foucault Do? I actually find this exchange regarding our
"self-governance," so to speak, to be pretty stimulating--

Within the relative freedom and anonymity of cyberspace, and working within
something of a "frame" or apparatus of this list-serv, people (myself included)
seem to come up with various rules of decorum, which are interestingly based in
terms of form (short, funny responses are not "serious" enough) and content
these things are ever inseperable.

An internalization of authority, the perfection of non-direct modes of controlling
and limiting our behaviour? That sounds a little too dramatic, but certainly it's
to the point here-- (thinking of the second half of Discipline and Punish,
generally). But the trajectory of this current debate does seem to lend itself to
this sort of thinking-- in all sincerity, what do we think he would make of this
discussion, if that's not too imaginative/hypothetical?

Regards,

James

James Parr
Department of English