Re: use or abuse of listservs

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, pcrugh.geo@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I think what Mr. King is eluding to is the fact that we can't have
> real conversations, here, and so it is pointless to attempt. Most of
> us are intellectual, which can be surmised from the maturity to
> understand language. So, we have an unknown audience to this and we
> can really be rational and use language to the full of our competence
> to do so.

Allusions are indeed elusive in this--but not only this--medium. That's
what you get when the author is dead, or at least dead to the reader.

If you're alluding to my .sig, then my intentions have eluded you. There
is a lot of blah blah blah here, there, and everywhere. Editorializing,
verbal fencing, cocktail chatter. Here is some more. We should probably
all get out more. But not--not by a long shot--only we Foucauldians or we
intellectuals or we cybernauts....

Matthew

---Matthew A. King---Department of Philosophy---York University, Toronto---
"It was in the barbarous, gothic times when words had a meaning;
in those days, writers expressed thoughts."