I would have a couple of short responses to this.

--part1_23.c01d576.283a3a73_boundary

see that [Foucault] was always trying to undermine or play truth games with
the rigidity of the self.

I quoted Surkis as an example of the type of commentary of readers of
Foucault whose too hasty reading leads to a quite careless response. Also I
am not supporting the view of the author of The Friend Who Did Not Save My
Life (the previous correspondent mentioned it). But that is not really why I
am replying (otherwise I would attempt to say again what I said - the part
you made no reference to). What I am interested in is your notion of
Foucault's discourse. Have you a quote where Foucault refers to his playing
discursive games. If you explain 'rigidity of the self' the picture maybe
clearer. I ask this because I thought Foucault acknowledges play in discourse
but that his strategy does not acquiesce with it or participate in the
freedom of exercising (or wielding) its playfulness. When you refer to 'this
aspect of F. (his positionality)' does this indicate to you that there are
other aspects that should also be considered. Or is the use of the idea
'aspect' related to sides of 'the squares on the political checkboard'.
I hope I havent taken you too seriously. EdP

--part1_23.c01d576.283a3a73_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>see that [Foucault] was always trying to undermine or play truth games with
<BR>the rigidity of the self.
<BR>
<BR>I quoted Surkis as an example of the type of commentary of readers of
<BR>Foucault whose too hasty reading leads to a quite careless response. Also I
<BR>am not supporting the view of the author of The Friend Who Did Not Save My
<BR>Life (the previous correspondent mentioned it). But that is not really why I
<BR>am replying (otherwise I would attempt to say again what I said - the part
<BR>you made no reference to). What I am interested in is your notion of
<BR>Foucault's discourse. Have you a quote where Foucault refers to his playing
<BR>discursive games. If you explain 'rigidity of the self' the picture maybe
<BR>clearer. I ask this because I thought Foucault acknowledges play in discourse
<BR>but that his strategy does not acquiesce with it or participate in the
<BR>freedom of exercising (or wielding) its playfulness. When you refer to 'this
<BR>aspect of F. (his positionality)' does this indicate to you that there are
<BR>other aspects that should also be considered. Or is the use of the idea
<BR>'aspect' related to sides of 'the squares on the political checkboard'.
<BR>I hope I havent taken you too seriously. EdP</FONT></HTML>

--part1_23.c01d576.283a3a73_boundary--