Re: if -- And

G'day,

Okay, I just happen to have my copy of the Republic right here...

Although I thought what I was saying was pretty obvious, and I think it is,
so maybe you misinterpreted my point. My point is that the speaker has a
context that has meaning, yep? That is as important as the meaning of what
is being communicated, hmm?

So are you saying to understand the allegory of the cave does not require
understanding of Plato-the-person? Of course not because that would be
ridiculous, yeah?

Hang on a second! My copy (Penguin Classics 1987) has a Preface, then a
Translator's Intro. The first section of the T.I. is Plato's Life and Times.
Gee whiz! I wonder why that is...

Specifically what I would look at in this case would be some of the
particular social arrangements within the society as Plato knew it (the
hierarchy, slaves, serfs, aliens, females, citizens, and all that jazz),
also, maybe, he would have been very unhappy with the "tyranny of the
commission of thirty" that put his mate Socrates to death...

So maybe his (Plato's) conception of Evil as an absence of truth could have
been gleamed from his experience of seeing someone he had thought of as
virtuous being killed, and the perpetrators of which behaving in such a way,
maybe, due to an absence of truth (or what he held to be 'truthful). Eh?

I am not a student of Plato, although I like his bit about Democracy (the
section under 'Imperfect Societies'), and perhaps in that section he can be
forgiven for thinking that it would be a bad thing for slaves to rise up
against their masters, for what else did he know? (Other than merely his
version of the 'truth', therefore he wasn't evil...)

If someone reading the allegory of the cave did not know of Plato, then what
exactly would they understand of it? I can't answer that question because I
have some understanding of Plato-the-person...

But this is obvious, yes? So why should the knowledge of Plato being, say,
an ancient Greek, be any different than some present day theorist's
sexuality (or ethnicity, or 'class', or gender, or age)?

Is this a phenomenological question that I am poking? Hmm...

I don't think knowledge can be objective (that comment in itself is a
subjective truth), therefore it requires an understanding of the
subjectivity of the speaker communicating (or attempting to communicate) the
knowledge. Which requires knowledge of the speaker... only if, of course,
there is a disagreement over meaning of what is being communicated, if there
is none, then the relative perspective of the 'listener' and 'speaker' are
similar enough to communicate meaning.

The poor buggers looking at shadows know of nothing else, therefore they
cannot be communicated with, until they understand that the subjectivity of
the speaker incorporates a little trip to the outside of the cave. In terms
of the allegory of the cave, there is more than one exit, for there is no
(singular) 'sun', or maybe just multiple caves linked together.

I mean you assume to assume knowledge of Plato when reading his work (I
assume). Like he is dead, from a long time ago, etc, so as to place what you
are reading in a context, so why the hell not do that now? I mean there is
more than one language being spoken, and more than one way a language can be
understood. I merely think people should be more aware of the 'intent' of
the speaker, rather than just the supposed meaning of what is being
communicated.

Yours (hopefully:) meaningfully and significantly,
Glen Fuller.