Auto mobile

Carola Giedion-Welcker, remembering her first meeting with James Joyce in
1928,
recalls speaking with him about the growing mechanization in the world.
"Suddenly Joyce
asked -- as if finally to make a sharp verbal clarification ... 'Tell me,
what sort of an idea do you
think the word "automobile" would have aroused in the Middle Ages?
Certainly only that of a
divine being' he added without waiting for my answer, 'a self mover, thus a
god.' " She
continues, "Joyce wanted to crystallize a cultural state, or better yet the
cultural crisis of a
century. For God and technology had moved critically close to each other."