Praise from Canada

o:zizek-l@yahoogroups.comFrom:Marciaatlantic.netDate:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 12:57:01 -0400
Reply-to:zizek-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:[zizek-l] A little praise from a Canadian
Without pausing to digest or respond to Zizek's
remarks, and at the risk
of appearing maudlin, I'm going to post this bit of
friendly discourse
from a Canadian source, now going around the internet,
and which Peter
Jennings just quoted, teary, on ABC news.
This is how I've received from two people on the net:
**********************************
This from a Canadian newspaper is worth sharing:
TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES
America: The Good Neighbor.
Widespread but only partial news coverage was given to
a recent remarkable editorial broadcast from Toronto
by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television commentator.
What follows is the full text of his Trenchant
remarks as printed in the Congressional Record:
"This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the
Americans as the most
generous and possibly the least appreciated people on
allthe earth.Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent,
Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war
by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and
forgave other billions in debts. None of these
countries is today paying even the interest on its
remaining debts to the United States. When France was
in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans
who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted
and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I
saw it. When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the
United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59
American communities were flattened by tornadoes.
Nobody helped.The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy
pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries.
Now newspapers in those countries are writing about
the decadent, warmongering Americans.I'd like to see
just one of those countries that is gloating over the
erosion of the United States dollar build its own
airplane.Does any other country in the world have a
plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed
ri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't
they fly them? Why do all the International lines
except Russia fly American Planes? You talk about
Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk
about German technocracy, and you get automobiles. You
talk about American technocracy, and you find men on
the moon - not once, but several times - and safely
home again.You talk about scandals, and the Americans
put theirs right in the storewindow for everybody to
look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and
hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of
them, unless they are
breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars
from ma and pa at home to spend here.
When the railways of France, Germany and India were
breaking down through age, it was the Americans who
rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the
New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an
old caboose. Both are still broke.
I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to
the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me
even one time when someone else raced to
the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was
outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.
Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one
Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get
kicked around. They will come out of this thing with
their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled
to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating
over their present oubles. I hope Canada is not one of
those."
Stand proud, America!
Wear it proudly!!