my 2 cents

"There is no such thing as a winnable war
It's a lie we won't believe anymore"
Sting from "Dream of the blue turtles"

I like many in the last few days have been talking about the events and
implications of WTC bombings on sept 11. For me I think that this act our
bringing our world to the brink of catastrophe. If this is the beginning
of an age, in which the everyday practices of our consumption and our
generally oppressive and wasteful western life-styles are no longer
secure, it is not so much that we are under attack in some Pearl Harbor
like invasion. It is rather the crystallization that change. . CHANGE is
making her demands. Our society is being shaken at its fabric., by two
until now repressed Realities, the first being that in the modern age
there is no such thing as a winnable war. Even after WWII the common
adage " another victory like that and we are done for" was so true even
before the outset of the full atomic age.
No matter now much our government and military leaders who have us believe
the notion of "no modern war is winnable" holds its sway over the center
of all our military planning. Until now
our governments achieved some semblance of security for its citizens under
by working under the insane paradox that which proclaim that "the more we
stockpile weapons the more deterrence create four our enemies, in short
peace is best achieved by build more weapons of mass destruction. " This
period has lasted until now, but is being radically altered by the
inevitable historical pull toward proliferation. Despite the effort on
the part of our government and its allies to not allow weapons of mass
destruction to get into the wrong hands, we still are unable to curb
envititble of proliferation which confronts us. Our government will not
and is not able to defend us by using violence against its enemies, and
this is not so much out of
Wish on the lovers of peace but a ever-present reality limiting the
rationality and effectiveness of war.
As it becomes easier for individuals and groups who have been repressed
and exploited by out "new world order" to obtain weapons of mass
destruction we will confront a conflagration in violence. America's last
two wars against Iraq and Yugoslavia were total successful from out
standpoint almost loss of no American combatants (out side of the
various poisonings our own soldiers suffered). But, I imagine that these
latest attacks on the WTC are connected to our on going war with Iraq.
Even if we as the worlds most powerful superpower experience "direct
military victory" by punishing entire populations we are still short of
any real victory so long as only a few determined suicidal terrorists
decide to plan and wait, plan and wait over years waiting to exploit our
some weakness in our security. Even if he tighten our security and prevent
95 % of all terrorist from getting through our net and just five succeed
and one of those five has an effective weapon of mass destruction we are
all doomed. The cost of one more event like to 9-11 is just too high, we
citizens of western government have so much to loose, while the
individuals of war torn regions have already lost so much that they are
willing to sacrafice themselves. The excess on violence on the world stage
is going to force us to confront our entire logic of defense, punishment,
and victory. The violence which has served to legitimatize the modern
state is overflowing and will be soon bring about its own downfall. I see
the long term effects of the WTC bombing as being something which will
force andividual to suicidal acts of mass destruction.

Until now our "peace" or our conforming social order has been secured by
the threat of total annihilation or any nation or group of nations which
would attempt to destroy us. This peace has come an end leaving only one
alternative a new "peace" which might be something that M Gandhi
envisioned, as a force which convinces us of its rightness oddly enough
not out of threat of retaliation and punishment but instead from a common
and shared understanding of what is right and what makes sense.

Jeremiah