Foucault, Governmentality and Drug Use

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1E028.B4FE4180

Hello All!

I am in the midst of preparing a conference paper on the topic of adolescent
drug use, identity formation and public policy. I am especially interesting
in the meaning of drug use for young people, either in terms of recreational
use or more dependent or problematic drug use. I recall from my doctoral
research Foucault's position on the relationship between various 'practices
of the self' and the process of subjectivation; I would like to examine drug
use as one such practice of the self and the role such practices have in
shaping young peoples' understanding of their own identity. I am also
interested in the slightly more overtly political issue of the state and
governmentality, ie what rationalities of government and public policy
inform the state's position on illicit drug use and the state's attempts to
design and implement strategies intended to prevent, treat and/or
rehabilitate drug users. My sense is that the state's approach to drugs
policy is premised upon notions of the 'normal subject' or the healthy
citizen in which drug use is seen as a profound contravention of the norms
of citizenship and normal, healthy subjectivity. Foucault's work on
biopolitics and governmentality might be useful here in developing greater
understanding of the rationalities implicit in the state's attempts to
prevent or limit drug use, and the effects of public policies aimed at
preventing drug harms.

As I understand it, Foucault made only fleeting reference to the topic of
drug use in his own writings, and only in terms of the importance of 'limit
experiences' and what some foucauldian scholars have called the 'politics of
pleasure'. Does anyone on the list know of any other references to drug use
within Foucault's writings, or of any 'foucault-inspired' writings on the
topic of young people and drugs? I am trying to develop a thesis around
young people's use of illicit substances and various practices of the self
through which young people attempt to shape a self of certain qualities and
properties. My gut feeling is that public policy which attempts to
problematise drug use as the province of delinquent and/or disaffected
persons really misunderstands the meaning of drug use for young people
today. I am not trying to suggest or imply that more liberal or libertarian
approaches to drug use should be countenanced, only that public policy is
likely to continue to fail to reach young people as long as it
misunderstands what makes drug use so 'normal' and unproblematic for so many
young people. I would love to hear what other listers might think about
these matters!

Many thanks,

Cameron Duff
Research Officer
Centre for Youth Drug Studies
Australian Drug Foundation
PO Box 818 North Melbourne 3051
Tel 03 9278 8118
Fax 03 9328-3008
cameron@xxxxxxxxxx
www.adf.org.au <www.adf.org.au>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1E028.B4FE4180

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Foucault, Governmentality and Drug Use</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hello All!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am in the midst of preparing a =
[...]
preventing drug harms. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">As I understand it, Foucault made only =
[...]
listers might think about these matters!</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Many thanks,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Cameron Duff</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Research Officer</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Centre for Youth Drug Studies</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Australian Drug Foundation</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">PO Box 818 North Melbourne 3051<BR>
Tel 03 9278 8118<BR>
Fax 03 9328-3008<BR>
cameron@xxxxxxxxxx<BR>
</FONT><A HREF=3D"www.adf.org.au"><U><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 =