Re: Foucault, Governmentality and Drug Use

--B_3101405892_514487

> [...]
> Foucault's position on the relationship between various 'practices of the
> self' and the process of subjectivation; I would like to examine drug use=
as
> one such practice of the self and the role such practices have in shaping
> young peoples' understanding of their own identity. I am also interested =
in
> the slightly more overtly political issue of the state and governmentalit=
y, ie
> what rationalities of government and public policy inform the state's pos=
ition
> on illicit drug use and the state's attempts to design and implement
> strategies intended to prevent, treat and/or rehabilitate drug users. My =
sense
> is that the state's approach to drugs policy is premised upon notions of =
the
> 'normal subject' or the healthy citizen in which drug use is seen as a
> profound contravention of the norms of citizenship and normal, healthy
> subjectivity. Foucault's work on biopolitics and governmentality might be
> useful here in developing greater understanding of the rationalities impl=
icit
> in the state's attempts to prevent or limit drug use, and the effects of
> public policies aimed at preventing drug harms.
>=20
> As I understand it, Foucault made only fleeting reference to the topic of=
drug
> use in his own writings, and only in terms of the importance of 'limit
> experiences' and what some foucauldian scholars have called the 'politics=
of
> pleasure'. Does anyone on the list know of any other references to drug u=
se
> within Foucault's writings, or of any 'foucault-inspired' writings on the
> topic of young people and drugs? I am trying to develop a thesis around y=
oung
> people's use of illicit substances and various practices of the self thro=
ugh
> which young people attempt to shape a self of certain qualities and
> properties. My gut feeling is that public policy which attempts to
> problematise drug use as the province of delinquent and/or disaffected pe=
rsons
> really misunderstands the meaning of drug use for young people today. I a=
m not
> trying to suggest or imply that more liberal or libertarian approaches to=
drug
> use should be countenanced, only that public policy is likely to continue=
> fail to reach young people as long as it misunderstands what makes drug u=
se so
> 'normal' and unproblematic for so many young people. I would love to hear=
what
> other listers might think about these matters!

--B_3101405892_514487

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Foucault, Governmentality and Drug Use</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">I remember a passage or a ref=
erence ( I should look it up) where he compares drug prevention strategies w=
ith the struggle against masturbation in earlier centuries. <BR>
another interesting issue from archives from juvenile treatment early 20cen=
tury institutions &nbsp;for re-education and prisons youth delinquents is th=
e struggle against /the popularity of tobacco<BR>
contact me if you want to know more ( I&#8217;ll look it up)<BR>
denoix <BR>
<BR>
Hello All!</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">I am in the midst of preparing a c=
[...]
g harms. <BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">As I understand it, Foucault made =
[...]
ic policy is likely to continue to fail to reach young people as long as it =
misunderstands what makes drug use so 'normal' and unproblematic for so many=
young people. I would love to hear what other listers might think about the=
se matters!<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Many thanks,</FONT></FONT><FONT FA=
CE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Cameron Duff</FONT></FONT><FONT FA=
CE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Research Officer</FONT></FONT><FON=
T FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Centre for Youth Drug Studies</FON=
T></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Australian Drug Foundation</FONT><=
/FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">PO Box 818 North Melbourne 3051<BR=

Tel 03 9278 8118<BR>
Fax 03 9328-3008<BR>
cameron@xxxxxxxxxx<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>www.adf.org.au</U></FONT> <BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3101405892_514487--