From DownUnder

--=_80DD4F83.2E4F1FFC

A Question,

I am doing some research into social welfare.

It strikes me that I could be using Foucault a basis to study the social
welfare payments system. .

What I am having trouble with is the short run aspects of the
governments implimentation of some very harsh social welfare criteria to
receive payments. I was going to use Foucault to look at this in the
context of governments short run political power games. That is the
government is making it difficult for unemployed people to receive
welfare payments unless they comply with very harsh rules. This a
political winner (I think anyway and some of the literature seems to
support this as well) as the public want to be assured that the
authorities are just not handing out payments at the drop of a hat.

My question is could you please direct me to any articles (even a
section to a book) that looks at the notion of power and politics in
this context. I know this is a bit of a short cut approach but I have
taken 9 weeks annual to start this study and I have spent the last three
days searching for materials on this topic with no luck.

Look forward to a reply.

Thanks

Rob

--=_80DD4F83.2E4F1FFC

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2712.300" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Tahoma; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=1>A Question,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>I am&nbsp;doing some research into social
welfare.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>It strikes me that I could be using Foucault a basis to study
the social welfare payments system. .</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>What I am having trouble with is the short run aspects of the
governments implimentation of some very harsh social welfare criteria to receive
payments.&nbsp;I was going to use Foucault to look at this in the context of
governments short run political power games. That is the government is making it
difficult for unemployed people to receive welfare payments unless they comply
with very harsh rules. This a political winner (I think anyway and some of the
literature seems to support this as well) as the public want to be assured that
the authorities are just not handing out payments at the drop of a
hat.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>My question is could you please direct me to any articles
(even a section to a book) that looks at the notion of power and politics in
this context. I know this is a bit of a short cut approach but I have taken 9
weeks annual to start this study and I have spent the last three days searching
for materials on this topic with no luck.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>Look forward to a reply.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>Thanks</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>Rob</FONT></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=_80DD4F83.2E4F1FFC--