<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Re: foucault-digest V2 #567
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:09:01 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;French intellectuals don't age well
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Robert Fulford
<DIV></DIV>&gt;National Post
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Saturday, July 27, 2002
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The most famous exports of France have always been cheese, wine, and ideas.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The cheese is excellent, the wine has good and bad years, and the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;illustrious ideas are consistently dreadful. Today, in universities across
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the West, Michel Foucault (1926-1984) exemplifies the bad French idea at its
<DIV></DIV>&gt;most brilliant and its most poisonous.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Foucault spent his life proving that the institutions of modern civilization
<DIV></DIV>&gt;do nothing but disguise one essential truth: the powerful oppress everyone,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;always. He yearned for revolution, the bloodier the better. In 1971 he said
<DIV></DIV>&gt;that when the workers take power, they may create a murderous dictatorship:
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"I can't see what objection could possibly be made to this." When he visited
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Tehran he praised the Ayatollah Khomeini's movement as a "religion of combat
<DIV></DIV>&gt;and sacrifice." He paid no attention to data and instead sprayed the air
<DIV></DIV>&gt;around him with ideas informed by paranoid fantasies. He received his
<DIV></DIV>&gt;reward: Dissertations on Foucault now fill university archives while armies
<DIV></DIV>&gt;of art critics, feminist rhetoricians, and post-colonial theorists spend
<DIV></DIV>&gt;their days quoting him.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;He was wrong about everything, which only adds to his stature. He followed
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the path of Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-80), who found excuses for the crimes of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;all communist despots but considered the United States profoundly evil
<DIV></DIV>&gt;("America is a mad dog"). Sartre was so wrong that he was considered truly
<DIV></DIV>&gt;great. Charles de Gaulle compared him to Voltaire.