Re: power/knowledge

S.Guhathakurta@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am no native French but have been learning the language for the past one
> year.
>
> Savoir - to know a fact.
>
> Connaitre - to know or be familiar with a person.

Right... As Aris has indicated, one interesting implication is that connaitre
would be open ended: you can always know someone better, or less well. Savoir
seems much more binary: you know something, or you don't.

Think about that in relation to ongoing debates regarding the revisable,
fallible, [etc.] nature of all knowledge. This poses a bit of a problem if
one is working with a binary notion of knowledge.

Phil