Re: [lacan] Re: The Human Body & the Body Politic

In a message dated 12/16/02 9:33:12 AM, JBCM2@xxxxxxx writes:

<< n a message dated 12/15/2002 8:01:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
PsycheCulture@xxxxxx writes:

> Lacan:
>
> "The unconscious is structured like a language."
>
> Koenigsberg:
>
> "Language is structured like the unconscious."

This is a little like, as my friend Bill Lloyd used to say, putting Descarte
before the horse. Lacan's point is the unconscious is not possible without
the structure of language. Koenisberg's reversal is not wrong, merely
redundant and, in my opinion, has no theoretical importance.

joe brennan

Yeah, I have to say that it seems that Richard here is missing Lacan's
point--which would include recognizing that even in Klein when we speak of
the unconscious reflecting the defense systems of the body we are speaking
metaphorically. There is no direct connection demonstrable on either the
biological or the purely epistemic level.

Allen Miller