RE: Drug Gaze

The question wether drugs should be legalized or not is a political one. But
the question why people use them and why others reject them is a
philosophical one. The answeres to these questions might not be simple and
equally valable for everyone. To say it's because of addiction is not
enough, because also nonaddictive substabces are considered dangerous drugs.
To say that's because of health reasons is also not true, because most white
collar jobs and topsport are more dangerous to health then many drugs. Our
society puts a lot of effort to reduce the unhealthy influences of work
(stress, r.s.i., heartproblems), we could also try to reduce the negative
side effects of drug (ab)use. We could develop a kind of art of drug
enjoyment, instead of a science of drugs (like an ars erotice v.s. a
scientia sexualis). A genealogy of the concept of 'drug' would be
interesting I think.
So could it be that our bodies absorp a lot of conflicting disciplines and
for some of us, who're a bit sensitive or have been exposed more then
others, the use of 'drugs' is a way to maintain discipline. Our
individualist society thus blames the indivdual druguser for it's own
defects and contradictions. It's also vlear theat soem drugs are very
populair among circles of outcasts. Maybe they're seeking compensation, so
maybe our society misuses their bodies first by taking away a necessary
physical feeling of satisfaction, or even for the feeling of being
appreciatated. The war on drugs is the more interesting because it's not
effective, drugs are probably more populair in societies where they are
forbidden then in others. Maybe it's like an allergical reaction on the
social level: society is fighting itself. The drug is a kind of natural
antidote which is mistaken for a disease. The disease may have everything to
do with a slavemoral and the fear for enjoyment.

erik