RE: Foucault Archive

Hi Cory

I was there in July. At that point the Foucault materials were still
available in Paris. What might be causing some of the problems is that the
Centre Michel Foucault site has not been updated for three years, as the
material is now available through IMEC. This is the Institut Mimoires de
l'idition contemporaine which houses lots of 20th century material - lots of
other thinkers and writers as well as Foucault.

IMEC, 9 rue Bleue, 75009 Paris. Tel 01 53 34 23 23
E-mail : bibliotheque@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.imec-archives.com/sommaire.htm

You are supposed to book a place in advance, and while I was there the small
reading room was usually full. It's only open 2-6 if I remember right, which
I found a bit restrictive. The Foucault material is off site, so needs to be
preordered. The staff there were very helpful and efficient, and put up with
my spoken French very kindly. There is a daily charge or you can buy a
longer pass.

There were plans to move the reading rooms to Caen, to a marvellous site
that is an old abbey. They have held conferences there, and when I was there
for one in 1999 they were renovating the abbey building for the new project.

But as far as I know they haven't completed the move yet.

Hope that's helpful

Stuart

Dr Stuart Elden
Lecturer in Political Geography