Re: Panopticon Reversed

This system is discussed in Discipline & Punish. I actually made a point
about it in an undergrad lecture I gave last year on Bentham and Foucault,
on a lecture heading 'The Tyranny of 'Society' - Representative Punishment?'

"[T]he arrangement of this machine is such that its enclosed nature does not
preclude a permanent presence from the outside: we have seen that anyone may
come and exercise in the central tower the functions of surveillance, and
that, this being the case, he can gain a clear idea of the way in which the
surveillance is practiced. In fact, any panoptic institution, even as
rigorously closed as a penitentiary, may without difficulty be subjected to
such irregular and constant inspections: and not only by the appointed
inspectors, but also by the public; any member of society will have the
right to come and see with his own eyes how the schools, hospitals, prisons
function. There is no risk, therefore, that the increase of power created
by the panoptic machine may degenerate into tyranny; the disciplinary
mechanism will be democratically controlled . This Panopticon, subtly
arranged so that the observer may observe, at a glance, so many different
individuals, also enables everyone to come and observe any of the observers.
The seeing machine . has become a transparent building in which the exercise
of power may be supervised by society as a whole." Michel Foucault,
Discipline and Punish

I didn't write down the page number on the powerpoint, sorry. The point
here is that the panopticon displaces the problem of 'tyrrany' or
'despotism' only via the guarantee provided by public opinion, inspection.
This presumes a certain type of public opinion of course, a properly sober
and utilitarian one, rather than one that dehumanizes the 'criminal', but it
also suggests that Foucault recognised that Bentham saw the power of the
warden as potentially 'despotic'. It also suggests that claims that James
Mill wanted to turn India into a giant panopticon, as is often claimed,
based on a reading of his account of the Cornwallis judicial and police
reforms in Book VI of _The History of British India_, is directly related to
his claim that 'public opinion' exercised little force in India. In
'civilized' societies, we might conclude, public opinion might work as a
panopticon for most people (i.e., Althusser's 'good subjects'), while the
panopticon in its various forms might serve to discipline the other, 'bad'
subjects.

While Bentham was always keen for projects to pay for themselves, especially
in earning a profit, I doubt that he would have been a supporter of the
project of displaying the mad for amusement, if only because it might debase
the viewing public.

David