Re: Episteme and 'overstand'

Episteme is routinely used in the Platonic dialogues of formalized knowledge that can be stated by rule as opposed to informal empirical knowledges that are referred to as technés. The Gorgias gives some good examples.

Best,
Allen

Paul Allen Miller
Professor of Classics
Graduate Director
Languages, Literatures and Cultures
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
803-777-0473
pamiller@xxxxxx
>>> i.v.d.onate@xxxxxxxxxx 06/26/04 08:33 AM >>>

Dear All,

I am still in my first steps in order to understand Foucault and I came
across with the etymological meaning of the word 'episteme'. Beyond the
ancient Greek use of the word, I learned (I could not find exactly where)
that it could be from the Ionic Greek meaning 'epistasthai': 'epi'= 'over,
near' and 'histasthai' = 'to stand'. So, in this meaning, it would be
something like 'overstand'. Please, could someone help me to understand this
meaning (overstand). I can realise that it would be very interesting to
compare to 'understand', but I could not find a good dictionary that could
help me with this.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Iara

--
The University of Stirling is a university established in Scotland by
charter at Stirling, FK9 4LA. Privileged/Confidential Information may