Re: government

Kevin

Hard to generalise and depends what you mean by close and contemporary. For example the material other than by MF which we included in the volume The Foucault Effect, subtitled 'Studies in Governmentality', included work by some people had a collaborative relation with Michel Foucault and were doing work around the same time as, or shortly after the 78/79 lectures, but didn't necessarily identify themselves as working on 'governmentality' as an explicit research programme.

People, in the Anglophone world and Germany perhaps more than in France, have done work since the late 80s focussed on around governmentality which has inevitably often been based on indirect or incomplete acquaintance with those lectures, via tapes and transcripts and visits to the archives,as well as via the medium of reports and summaries by people such as myself.

>From my limited observation the understanding in this work of the key ideas is usually pretty recognisably related to Foucault's, no doubt with some emphases or inflections according to people's interests, as is to be expected.

The lectures will be published in full for the first time in France one month from now. After that it will be easier for everyone to form their own answers to your question, and we may hope to see an explosion of new thinking inspired by these incredibly rich resources.

regards

Colin