Re: preface to HF

It says a little more than that, and implies more than it says. He says it
is impossible and
undesirable for an author to try to control the reception and effects of a
book.
The unsaid but obvious reason for saying this, for his readers then, was
that things had happened between 1961 and 1972, such as antipsychiatry and May
68, and Histoire de la Folie had become a reference used on both sides of
various battles. I think one could infer that he thought the earlier presentation
had been designed for a different context and had found that some its
explanation of his project had proved liable to misinterpretation, notably by
Derrida.