Re: racism

Hi Colin,

> 'conflicts with the demarcation' - what does this mean?

In the last chapter of SMBD, Foucault sets up a schema in which he
demarcates (differentiates would have been a better word) man-as-body,
which he associates with anatamo-political discipline, from
man-as-species, which he associates with bio-political regulation; and he
ties the emergence of racism with the emergence of the bio-political
regulation of man-as-species in the late 19C.

In <<Les Anormaux>>, as I read this from Eldenâ??s synopsis (I havenâ??t read
the book yet), Foucault seems to tie the emergence of racism to
anatamo-politics and man-as-body. "If" this is the case â?? this "if" being
the point of my question â?? this would seem to conflict (contradict would
have been a better word - or better still, problematises) with the schema
Foucault sets up in SMBD.

Thus, on the one hand, I wanted to know how Foucault portrays the
emergence of racism in <<Les Anormaux>>; and, on the other hand, how this
scheme relates to that in SMBD.

Regards â?? Kevin.

--
Kevin Turner