RE: critique or criticism?

KT:

1) there is a distinction in French between criticisme and critique, but
criticisme has such a specific meaning, and in any case I don't think
Foucault talks about it. Critique is basically the French word for
criticism, full stop.

2)pouvire is not a word. You mean pouvoir. We already discussed this at
length Kevin, Google search! The question you ask is not really to the
point. Foucault hardly talks about power in these works, and where he does
he hasn't developed the conecpt of power (pouvoir) he does later, so it's
really irrelevant whether he says pouvoir or puissance (both being common
French nouns, he quite possibly uses both at various times).

Mark

<foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: critique or criticism?
>Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:29:21 -0000
>
>Hi all,
>
>I have two questions:
>
>1) Does Foucault make a distinction between "critique" and
"criticism"?
>I know that the subtitle to 'Omnes et Singulatim' has been translated as
>both '...Critique of Political Reason,' and '...Criticism of Political
>Reason,' and I was wondering if there is, or should, be a difference. It
may
>be a moot point, but Mitchell Dean does make something of the
distinction
>between criticism and critique vis-a-vis Foucault in his Critical and
>Effective Histories.
>
>2) Did Foucault always use the term "pouvire" for power - i.e.
did he use
>the term pouvoir in Folie et déraison (Madness and Civilization), The
Birth