Re: critique or criticism?

If we follow Foucault's own production of quotes, then, we must add the
statement "it is not power, but the subject, which is the general theme of
my research." (Subject and Power.) This is rather evident, but it is worth
repeating, that Foucault main task was always to participate in much a wider
philosophical project which was attempting to develop a way out of the
philosophical paradigm of the "constitutive subject."

The most pertinent question seems to me to be how does Foucault interpret
the constitution of the "mad subject" and how do the different shifts and
reevaluations throughout his life change that interpretation. The concept
of power is important to Foucault's concept of subjectivity and how
subjectivity is constituted by practice, but it seems to me that we have a
tendency of emphasizing the concept of power and losing the focal point that
is Foucault's dialogue with the philosophical discourse that is
problematizing the nature of subjectivity. Discourse, power, ethics are the
central parts to Foucault's grammar about subjectivity, but if we choose to
only analyse the concept of power itself, then all we gain from Foucault is
a novel idea about power but we don't know what work it can do. How many
studies can we point to that suggest they are "using" his concept of power,
but fail to understand its link with the philosophical question of the
subject.

Kevin, if we agree that the question of the subject is the central question
that Foucault asks, in all his work, how is our understanding of his
approach to that question enhanced by "trying to bring to the fore" a
conceptualization of power used in M/C but not theorized? If we say that he
uses a "repressive" notion of power in M/C, how does that impact the way we
relate to his discussion of the constitution of the "mad subject"? Is the
"early work" devalued by your thesis that he is using a notion of power that
he later rejects?

I think the importance of the "early work" is to watch Foucault situate
subjectivity in discourse and not consciousness. Yes, he is using a notion
of power that he would later rework to explain how language and practice
form a productive relation with one another, but that was a step built on
the initial theorization that our experience of ourselves as subjects is an
experience constituted by practice, specifically discursive practices. What
I am having trouble following is the "significance" of your thesis about the
"early work" and power for our understanding of Foucualt. What possibility
of understanding about his project does it open up?

Cheers, Brodie