[Foucault-L] thanks for your references

&nbsp;<br>
Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions; I?m not familiar with
some of the works you mentioned (i.e., Rabinow's <i>French Modern</i>,
Mitchell?s <i>Colonizing Egypt</i>, and pretty much all of the ones that
Steve mentioned), but was happy to be reminded of some things that I have
read in what now seems to be the distant past (Spivak on the subaltern
and Chaterjee on nationalism, for example). I am especially grateful for
the references on Said?s ambivalence toward Foucault that Steve
offered.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Also, Nate wrote:<br>
?[Steve?s] email reminded me that I forgot to say what was relevant to
postcolonial studies about the Paul Bove article referred to by
Spivak.&nbsp; Specifically, Bove analyses the relationship between Said
and Foucault in terms of both intellectual politics (one-upmanship,
positioninig) as well as more substantive differences between Foucault's
idea of the &quot;specific intellectual&quot; versus Said's adopted role
as a &quot;general intellectual&quot; in the mode of Sartre. This bears
upon Spivak's criticism of the Foucauldian refusal to &quot;speak
for&quot; the oppressed.&nbsp; Interestingly, her best point [viz. that
the subaltern cannot (almost by definition) speak for herself] really
hits its mark more with Deleuze? [snip]<br>
?All in all, it's a bit of a confused argument that she makes, but it is
still worth studying in some detail.&nbsp; Because even if it doesn't all
hang together that well, the various points she makes along the way are
most stimulating and provocative (in the best sense of the term).?<br>
&nbsp;<br>
One of the biggest problems I remember having with the article, and here
I?m working from years? old memory, was her argument that Derrida was the
way out of the very real dilemma involved of ?speaking for? the subaltern
(or any subject incapable of being heard due to a lack of access): that
one had to hear the voice/cry/etc. of the other within oneself or
somesuch. I remember thinking that it sounded quite poetic and all, but
also highly problematic.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Thanks again!<br><br>
Best,<br><br>
Keith<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
<i>Keith Alan Sprouse<br>
Box 176, Department of Modern Languages<br>
Hampden-Sydney College<br>
Hampden-Sydney, Virginia 23943<br>
(o) 434.223.6335 / (f) 434.223.0465 <br>
(h) 434.244.0465 / (c) 434.962.5303<br><br>