Re: [Foucault-L] to Mark: Power relations and dispositif (Can Batukan)

hi can,

thank you this thoughful exchange and your clarifications on power.

i did not mean to suggest that power relations are so diffused as to
function in pure symmetry; rather, that there is not a singular grid of
centre and periphery but multiple ones which themselves are in assymetrical
relations. in short, what is at the centre in one dispositif of power may be
on the periphery of another. i think foucault's deployment of
boulainvilliers in society must be defended illustrates this very nicely;
hence we have this strange figure, an early 19th c. landed nobleman who
emerges as a subaltern voicee of resistance in an emergent dispositif of
power that comes to be called bipower.

my only caveat, then, is that there are only ever multiple centres and
peripheries in dynamic relations. for me, this is more than a nuance but is
at the heart of foucault's reconceptualization of power.

take care,

mark coté