From: npr4@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:46:00 +0100
To: foucault-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Foucault-L] Histoire de la folie a l'age classique

Dear Michael,

It would be interesting to hear more about what the "normal standards of
acceptable scholarship" are that Foucault dispenses with in this work. I
once heard that the famous ships of fools never in fact existed. Is this
true? Did he just make it up? And if so, is this the sort of issue you are
referring to when you say he suspends the normal standards of acceptable
scholarship?

I ask because you don't really give any indication in your post. If it is a
matter of factual errors, this would be serious indeed. I hope that the new
addition will provide copious references that will allow such issues to be
clarified. Or is your objection more of a methodological one? If this is the
case, I hope your new translation will include some kind of introductory
essay making your objections clear or explaining how the new translation
provides insight into this question.

But in the meantime, it would be most interesting to hear at least a precis
of what you are alluding to in your post to this list.

Regards,
Nate Roberts