Re: [Foucault-L] "Representation" in The Order of Things

Dear Daniel:

The theme of representation in the "Order of Things" seems to
me complicated. On one hand, the epistemes form a kind of
"positive unconscious" which structures our representations of
nature and society. At any given time in history, there are
representations, but with different structures and different
relationships to knowledge.

But during the Enlightenment, representations became one of
the most important terms of discourse; representation was
thematized. The Cartesians rejected Newton's concept of
gravity as an "occult property" because it cannot be
represented as such. The table, which was one of the models
for knowledge during the Enlightenment, was oriented towards
organizing representations.

In other words, and Foucault had complained of something to
this effect in a later interview, the occurence of
representation is transcendental in relation to the episteme.
Representation seems to have its own transhistorical nature
and limits, even as it changes over time due to epistemic
shifts. So, it's been difficult for me to place the concept
clearly within The Order of Things.

Yours,

Peter
Peter Winston Fettner