Re: [Foucault-L] historical sociology, anyone?

Hi all,

I think there may be a difference between saying power is 'diffused' (in Mann's sense) and power is 'imminent' (in the sense used by Foucault, or Hardt and Negri). To say that the state has no final consistency because it is fragmented is all very well, but it does not prevent one from adopting an essentially liberal ontology about how the state is founded and, subsequently, reproduced. But aren't Foucauldians supposed to be interested in a different set of questions? Aren't they interested not so much in the diffusion of power among actors but, rather, the manner in which those actors are constituted? In other words, to get to the point, can we say that Mann believes in governmentality? My sense is that he does not. Nor could he. Because his work is founded on an instrumentalist notion of power (no matter how diffused or whatever he argues it may be today).

NiK

On May 16, 2007, at 8:23, Ilgin Yorukoglu wrote:

Dear Arthur and Nicholas,

I'm pondering...About the state still being "an actor of sorts - not in any way imminent to the social": Mann, as you know, gives the IEMP model in which ideology, economy, military and politics become important as the sources of power (while these four sources are not strictly separated and do overlap, of course). Doing this, supposedly he differentiates himself from both Marxists and Weberians since he separates the military relationships from the political ones.

If we take ideology from these four, for instance, he explains how ideology was immanent in society in different civilizations (in Persian empire, for example) as "the solidification of states and ruling classes through the infrastructures of power". It is so true that infrastructures and organizations are extremely important for him as the resources (the media) through which the power is exercised. But in turn, power creates these resources. Foucault once said, in an interview, that we know who do not hold the power:) In Mann's case, yes, there seem like to be some actors as the ruling class, but this doesn't prevent the power being immanent (or "diffused").

Risking oversimplification and using the terminology I would usually prefer not to, it seems to me that the confusing part of Mann might be that he's following the "second wave" historical sociologists in types of questions he's asking, while trying to answer them in a way that is done by the so-called "third wave"!

Best,
Ilgin

----- Original Message ----
From: Nicholas J. Kiersey <nkiersey@xxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 3:32:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Foucault-L] historical sociology, anyone?

Sorry to butt in, but I feel that Mann can't use Foucault - to do so
would totally destroy his own intellectual project. I have made an
argument in my own work, for example, which looks at Martin Shaw's
use of Mann's model of social power in relation to the state - here i
argue that the model of the state that Mann produces, while helpfully
historical (for international relations theorists anyway - I can tell
you as a member of that discipline that IR theorists have a very
unhistorical view of the state), nevertheless reduces the state to a
variation of Weber's classic definition. Recall, Borrowing only
partially from Weber, Mann argues that a social body must satisfy
four criteria if it is to be called a state. It must have:

1). a differentiated set of institutions and personnel
2) embodying a centrality in the sense that political relations
radiate outwards from a centre to cover a
3) territorially demarcated area, over which it exercises
4) some degree of authoritative binding rule-making, backed up by
some organized physical force.

While the last element certainly concedes much to Weber, Mann insists
that “states can be recognized by the central location of their
differentiated institutions” (1988: 4). In this way, he distances
himself from both Marxist and IR Realism, both of which posit the
function of the state as a function of the particular types of social
power that concern them respectively. Mann’s more multi-modal state
is never purely functional. Rather, different interest groups assert
themselves over time, manipulating different institutions in order to
assert their specific interests. This is a state, therefore, which
“Balkanizes” under the microscope – a state which is so messy that it
has “no final unity or even consistency” (1988: 53, 56).

However, despite these caveats, what is interesting about both Mann
and Shaw is their description of the state, whatever it eventually
is, in primarily liberal terms. They share Hobbes's conceit, for
example, of state sovereignty as a form of collective agency. Hindess
draws from Foucault to offer a good critique of such models. He
focuses on how scholars that use this model tend to reduce their
normative purview to simple issues to do with the appropriate
political constitution of society. That is, a question of the proper
relations between the ruler and the ruled. What gets forgotten, as
Hindess suggests, is the issue of the role of government in producing
these arrangements. In this sense, the critique is that, for Mann,
the state is still an actor of sorts - not in any way imminent to the
social, as Foucault would have us believe.

Nicholas