Re: [Foucault-L] Genealogy Archaeology Divide

Hi Clare

So, regarding madness you would say that at the archaeological level Foucault looked at the formation of madness as an object of knowledge and the asylum warden, doctor, psychiatrist as subject who knows; whereas at the genealogical level Foucault looked at the formation of madness as error, fault or sickness and reason as truth of the world, and then the truth of man.

I think that is a highly usable way of thinking about the difference between archaeology and genealogy.

It also shows how genealogy was at work, however implicitly, in History of Madness, and The birth of the Clinic; and demonstrates how archaeology was at work in Discipline and Punish and later texts.

regards - k