Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 7:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Foucault-L] Governmentality

In my opinion bio-issues are of course also topics of govenrmental
power, but they are not any more the exclusive topics. My main
objections, however, to you construal are:
- From 1978 on Foucault does not connect governmental power any more
with the power on life and death or some reversal of that power; he
even rejects that connection (lateron in an explicit way, see 'The
Subject and Power' )[Could you please elaborate on this?]

- The invention of statistics as governmental technique is more than
pure Fordism; following the idea of examination in Discipline and
Punish, statistics normalizes, and in doing so it always is as well
focused on the individual, as on some idea of <normal>
[I completely agree and that is one reason why I am arguing that Foucault's
Governmentality analytic remains relevant - disciplinary normalisation is an ongoing concern]

yours
machiel karskens