[Foucault-L] Call for papers: Power: Forms, Dynamics and Consequences

Power: Forms, Dynamics and Consequences
An International conference, Tampere, September 22-24, 2008

** Abstracts Submission Deadline EXTENDED: June 30, 2008 **

Call for papers

What is power and who has power today? Has power escaped from
nation-states to international organizations and the global market? Does
power reside in big institutions or is it rooted in micro level
interaction? How does power hide from view and therefore become most
effective? For social scientists power is in many ways like what St.
Augustine said about time: it is central to our investigations and we
think we know what it is, but it is hard to explain. By bringing
together scholars who approach power from different angles this
conference will advance our understanding about power relations in
social reality.

Keynote speakers will include:

* Mitchell Dean * * Robert Dingwall * * Mark Haugaard * * Tuula
Juvonen * * Randy Lippert * * Lois McNay * * Leslie Pal * *
Pekka Sulkunen *

Sessions:

* ANTing the Analytics of Power - powering ANT * * Arbitrary
Power * * Care, Agency and Power * * Child Policy Meets Children
as Political Agents * * Children and Power * * Ecologies of Power
and Resistance in Cognitive Capitalism * * Envisioning Technology:
Power and Practice * * Gender, Ethnicity and Everyday Citizenship
Practices * * Globalization and New Forms of Control and the
Mobilization of Powerless * * Governmentality and Global Governance *
* Images & Power: Visual Communication and the Public Sphere in Late
Modern Societies * * Immigration and Governmentality * * Pension
Power and Pension Fund Governance * * Political Power * * Power
and Signification * * Power and Space * * Power Asymmetries * *
Queer Powers* * Representations of Capitalism and Identity * *
Rethinking the State * * Social and Vital Norms - Canguilhem
Revisited * * The Power of Male Dominance *

If you would like to present a paper, please send an abstract by June
30, 2008. To get more information about the conference and session
details, please visit our web pages at
<http://www.uta.fi/Power2008/>http://www.uta.fi/Power2008/ or contact
the organisers by email: <mailto:Power2008@xxxxxx>Power2008@xxxxxx

--