Re: [Foucault-L] Reading Foucault

I think you can start where ever you wish, unless you are attempting to construct "Foucault the author" in your head, so maybe you should start with "What is an Author?" first ;-)

If you are reading Spinoza and Marx maybe the best place to start would be 'Discipline and Punish', 'Society Must Be Defended', and 'The Will to Knowledge'. Whether you read them in French or English is up to you ... I presume you will read both eventually anyway, or at least check one against the other in difficult passages. You might also want to read the essays by Balibar and Macherey in the collection 'Michel Foucault: Philosopher' and Macherey's book 'In a Materialist Way', or the essays by Warren Montag on Foucault (in Yale French Studies No. 88 & the special issue of Pli on Foucault), as these will help you to place Foucault relative to Spinoza, Marx, & Hegel. There is also an essay by Montag on Althusser's reading of Foucault, Derrida, and Nietzsche in the special issue of borderlands e-journal edited by myself, and an essay there on Foucault and Althusser on Machiavelli by Adam Holden and Stuart Elden. You can find those at http://www.borderlands.net.au/issues/vol4no2.html

good luck with it all!