Re: [Foucault-L] source of quote

Hi Nate,

As far as I can see the quote can be found in the Dreyfus/Rabinow Reader. I do only have acces to the German translation at the moment, so I cannot look up the precise formulation. Maybe you have the possibility do do it yourself? It should be on page 187:
But Foucault—as he himself says—is less interested in knowing what and why something is done but in the question of what one’s own ‘doing does’ (Dreyfus, H. L. & P. Rabinow: Michel Foucault. Beyond Structuralism and Hermeneutics, Chicago, IL, University of Chicago Press, 1982, pp. 187)

The other famous quote is that of Marx when he tells us (in the 18th Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte):
“Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past. The tradition of all dead generations weighs like an Alp on the brains of the living...."

or when Marx talks about the Fetishism of commodities (Capital Volume One):
“whenever, by an exchange, we equate as values our different products, by that very act, we also equate, as human labour, the different kinds of labour expended upon them. We are not aware of this, nevertheless we do it.“

kind regards,

Henning