[Foucault-L] Fwd: [mlg-ics] Neoliberalism Seminar 4/16-18: Invitation to Apply

This seminar on Harvey's Brief History of Neoliberalism and Foucault's The Birth of Biopolitics will no doubt be of interest to many here. People here have any thoughts on David Harvey's Neoliberalism book? I have only have Limits to Capital (2006 edition), which I have barely started but seems worthwhile. See also http://davidharvey.org/

Begin forwarded message:

From: Leerom Medovoi <medovoi@xxxxxxx>
Date: 14 November 2008 4:14:30 AM
To: Cultural Studies <cultstud-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Marxist Literary Group <mlg-ics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [mlg-ics] Neoliberalism Seminar 4/16-18: Invitation to Apply

I am inviting applications for a seminar to be held at the next Cultural Studies Association U.S. meeting in Kansas City, April 16-18. A description of the seminar follows. If you would like to participate, please send me a query as outlined below as soon as possible. A title for your research interest can be included in the conference program so as to help persuade your home institution to send you to the conference.

What is Neoliberalism, Anyway? Between Harvey and Foucault

[Individuals interested in participating in this Cultural Studies Association seminar should contact Leerom Medovoi (medovoi@xxxxxxx). Deadline: 14 November 2008.]

Seminar Description:

This CSA seminar is designed for individuals interested in sharing a discussion about emerging debates about how best to theorize and historicize what we call “neoliberalism" at this moment when it has entered into financial crisis. In particular, the seminar will seek to navigate the relationships and disagreements between two schools of thought: the Marxian approach as spelled out by David Harvey in his Brief History of Neoliberalism, in which neoliberalism is historicized it as a post-Foridst strategy for capitalist regulation originating in the 1970s, and a more politico- governmental account of neoliberalism that grows out of the recently translated and published College de France lectures by Foucault entitled The Birth of Biopolitics. The goal of the seminar will be to elaborate what is at stake in these different readings of neoliberalism, whether they are reconcilable or not, and where they might lead new scholarship that seeks to study the macro-relations between culture, politics, and political economy.

Seminar Requirements:

Participants will be asked to read the entirety of Harvey’s Brief History of Neoliberalism as well as Foucault’s Birth of Biopolitics. Out of a bibliography of readings on neo-liberalism that we will compile in the coming months, each participant will also be responsible for reading one additional text that they can bring into our discussion at the seminar meeting. Examples of possible choices include recent work by Mike Davis, Aihwa Ong, Wendy Brown, Henry Giroux, Naomi Klein, and Lisa Duggan.
Each participant will be asked to write a 1-2 page response to their readings, in which they raise questions or concerns that they would like us to address. In summary, this seminar, will function as a focused reading group that seeks to help each of us clarify our understandings of neo-liberalism as we take them into our own lines of inquiry.

Seminar Moderator:
Leerom Medovoi is Professor of English and Director of the Portland Center for Public Humanities at Portland State University. He is the author of Rebels: Youth and the Cold War Origins of Identity (Duke University Press, 2005), and of various articles dealing with the cultures of the Cold War, globalization and the “War on Terror” in such journals as Social Text, Interventions: An International Journal of Postcolonial Studies, Minnesota Review, and Review of Education/Pedagogy/Cultural Studies.

Contact and Proposal Information:

To apply to the seminar, please send a cv and short description (50-100 words) of your interest in the topic of the seminar to Leerom Medovoi (medovoi@xxxxxxx).

Leerom Medovoi
Associate Professor of English
Director, Portland Center for Public Humanities
Portland State University
Phone: (503) 725-4946
www.publichumanities.pdx.edu