Re: Nietzsche/Genealogy

On Sat, 5 Nov 1994 SamuelV158@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I would be interested to get some outside views on Focault's genealogy. I
> am particulary interested in the relationship between Foucault and Nietzsche.
> While there are similarities, Foucault seems much more critically austere
> than Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals with its epoch clashes between nobles,
> slaves, ascetic priests etc.

Since you didn't state your name I've included your entire message for
response. I am not sure how deep you have already delved into this
topic, but I think the best place to begin is the well known "Nietzsche,
Genealogy, History" written by Foucault that appears in the _Foucault
Reader_. Herbert Dreyfus and Paul Rabinow devote all of Part II of their
book _Michel Foucault: Beyond Structuralism and Hermeneutics_ to the
topic and sub-topics of genealogy, with some discussion of Nietzsche in
chapter five. There is also a related discussion in chapter two
"Critical Theory/Intellectual History" of _Politics, Philosophy,
Culture: Interviews and Other Writings 1977-1984_. "Foucault's Mapping
Of History" by Thomas Flynn in _The Cambridge Companion To Foucault_ is
another interesting paper in this respect. James Bernauer even offers an
interesting discussion related to this in chapter four ("Dissonant
Thinking") of his book _Michel Foucault's Force Of Flight: Toward An
Ethics For Thought_.

- One more note: "Critical Theory/Intellectual History" also appears in
_Critique and Power: Recasting the Foucault/Habermas Debate_ edited by
Michael Kelly.

Yours in discourse,

Steven Meinking
The University Of Utah