Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 10:23:01 -0800
From: "Todd B. Davis" <tdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Individualism primers...

Robert F. Jones wrote:
>A 22-year old student, about the brightest I have taught in 30 years,
>is now in China teaching English before heading off this fall to graduate
>school. He is reading Nietzsche for the first time. He has asked me to
>send him a book that treats individualism, there being little available in
>English in Qinhuangdao. I am sorry that he was no more specific than that!

> I am at a loss as what to come up with. My field is not philosophy. I
>am a Montaigne scholar, but I think he wants something more classically
>philosophical. What about the Spaniard from Salamanca?

Todd B. Davis: My personal field of scholarship is psychology, but my
emphasis is in the theory and philosophy of psychology. In regard to your
request for a title which treats individualism, I guess I would need to
know a little more about what you mean by "treatment" and what you mean by
"individualism". But since you . . . might I propose a starting point for
individualism which is grounded somewhat in the history of philosophy. . .
Nietzsche is one whom has resisted this wholesale subscription to
individualism. A useful book which investigates this to some extent is Fred
Evans' "Psychology & Nihilism"(State University of New York Press, 1993). Evans
subtitle for this book is "A Genealogical Critique of the Computational Model of
Mind). . . .

From another point, your student may wish to compare social scientific
critiques of individualistic ontologies with a more traditionally scientific (as
in the sence of the "hard" sciences" critique of the epistemology implicit in an
individualistic ontology. Michael Polanyi has written a well celebrated book in
this regard: "Personal Knowledge: Towards a Post-Critical philosopy" (University
of Chicago Press, 1962). . . .