Re: citation

"being invented for the purposes of control" ----Eric is sounds like you're lo
oking for one of those gruesome lyrical passages out of Discipline and Punish.
Though, I might be wary of "invented for the purposes of." Again, haven't rea
d nearly enough Foucault in the past few years, but as I remember, when he firs
t writes about the social partition of sanity/madness, it's not so much for the
purposes of control but rather for the purposes of reason (in Descartes in par
ticular) to be able to define itself as reason, thus creating an other that it
must exclude in order to delimit itself. But, maybe I'm thinking of something
that is totally different from what you're thinking of.

Control, though, pops up big time in Discipline and Punish...