Re: PhD exams

>Hey, why not shake them up by putting _Foucault Live (Interviews
>1966-84), Semiotext(e) on the Phd exam list? Not only are the
>interviews great intellectual exercises, but they are a literary
>way of tracing out Foucault's ideas through one of his favorite
>activites: discussion (as opposed to "polemics" and pure
>"authoring" of texts). Critics often consider Foucault's many
>interviews as "supplementary" to the main show; his books.
>This would be a chance to explore reversing that bias and
>kind of deconstructing Foucauldian disciplinarity as it
>is now being organized.
>
>Stephen Katz,
>Trent University

Having fairly recently taken my ph.d exam and having included Foucualt Live
on my list, I would certainly second this recommendation. A number of my
profs had not read those inverviews before, or at least not in a long time,
and they had a lot of questions/comments. Had a great discussion about
"Friendship as a Way of Life."

Harrison Brace
Stanford, Department of Comparative Literature
hbrace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

snmail:
Department of Comparative Literature
Encina Hall
Stanford, CA 94305-2031

Sanity is the lot of those who are most obtuse, for lucidity destroys one's
equilibrium: it is unhealthy to honestly endure the labors of the mind
which incessantly contradict what they have just established.

Georges Bataille