Re: Foucault a postmodernist?

> I think postmodernism is disliked by many because it undercuts the whole
> idea of "control" which is such a high modernist value. The modernist
> impulse is to control, control ideas, other people, life, nature, future,
> etc. It is the worst possible thing to be "out of control." I believe there
> is alot of literal "grief" among folks today over loss of a whole era in
> which people actually believed they could be in control. It makes us feel
> unbalanced, uncertain, even panicked, all feelings we have been taught are
> somehow terrible.

This discussion on postmodernism has been enriching. I like the way
that many, with Foucault as the point of departure, have contributed
ideas--but with applicability to philosophy in particular and to many other
fields in general. In fact, it is fun to consider who, in other fields,
might be considered counterparts to Foucault in philosophy. In this
respect, I would like to know if you--if anyone--would agree that, in
poetry, Baudelaire would be the pioneer of postmodernism. Or would it be
anachronistic to view a mid-19th-century figure as an postmodernist?