Re: foucault-digest V1 #37

Wow, someone (other than myself) has finally mentioned Bill Connolly's work
on the list! But how is it that you ascribe a 'repressive theory of power'
to him? I've never known Connolly to say anything _but_ that power is
productive of the very dispersions that are often sought to be repressed.
That's the basis for the call to 'agonistic respect' in the first place. I
don't have any of his books in front of me at the moment, but I could dig up
a ton of quotes if you want. And while Foucault clearly rejects the
'repressive hypothesis', that in no way prevents him from theorizing about
'disciplinary society' -- a society in which power produces the very
differences it then seeks to secure itself against.

Nathan
widder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx