Re: Freedom and Choice in Power Relations

If it is possible,
>as my lectures were arguing, to interprete Foucault's power relations
>phenomenological, is itn't time we re-examine Foucault's relations to
>phenomenology? But what would this mean, in terms of the question
>of Foucault's "originality"? What remains of Foucault's
>Nietzscheanism? Anyway, I hope you find these thoughts useful, and I
>would appreciate any comments and suggestions, as I grapple with the
>question of Foucault and Sartre.

In a previous post, I quoted from Foucault's last interview in which he
acknowledged his debt to Nietzsche and Heidegger. And certainly his debt
to Nietzsche is fairly obvious. What intrigued me was that Foucault added
that only through his reading of Heidegger did Nietzsche become meaningful
to Foucault's work. It is not clear whether he meant Heidegger's
philosophy or simply Heidegger's multi-volume work on Nietzsche. Anyway, I
think this Heideggerian-Nietzschean relationship is more useful in terms of
the question of the influence of phenomenology than Sartre whose approach
Foucault rejects.