Intro to Canguilhem

I have always viewed the Introduction to Canguilhem's _Normal &
Pathological_ as a major "positioning" statement by Foucault. It is also
one of the earliest pieces (1978) where Foucault brings in the issue of
Kant and Enlightenment.

The particularly interesting thing about this introduction is Foucault's
attempt to map a history-of-science claim concerning the contingency and
epoch-icity of particular reigns of truth in science onto a notion of
Enlightenment. In the process, as I said previously, I think Foucault
endorses a very different version of "vitalism" than the one Deleuze
mentions in his book, _Foucault_.

--John
ransom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx