Re: Fromm and Foucault

These comparisons seem all very interesting but would also seem somehow
to reduce Foucault's ideas to a simplistic rebellion against authority,
to the need for individualism, and the abnegation of the evils of power.
Isn't this message as old as words themselves? Fromm is working within a
psychoanaltic tradition where "lieben und arbeiten" (love and work) are
the foundations of individual happineness. For Foucault, these two
notions, love and work, seem to be employed by Power to manipulate the
individual's physical and emotional, social and personal lives. Books
like Christpher Key's Subliminal Seduction, which demonstrates how ads
insinuate themselves into the unconscious, how they play on fantasies of
work and play, success and sex, would seem also in keeping with
Foucault's ideas. Is that what Power is--subliminal seduction?